The long-awaited February wedding of Jody and Thomas was the perfect culmination of a long-time love story and closest family and friends. The bride wore a strapless A-line gown by Melissa Sweet, adorned with vintage lace and a breathtaking train. Her bridesmaids wore dark green gowns by Jim Hjelm, alongside the groomsmen in suits by Vera Wang. The vows were said in a gorgeously traditional Greek Orthodox ceremony at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church before guests adjourned to the reception. Anxious to share their love of their Florida home, the couple chose to celebrate at a historic ballroom on Bayshore Boulevard in Tampa. The fun and romantic atmosphere of Tampa wedding venue Tampa Garden Club was the perfect complement to their theme of “Old Florida.” Gourmet food stations by Puff N Stuff boasted shrimp and grits, grilled cheese and soups, while a wedding cake brought the flavor of the south to life with a key lime buttercream icing. The DJ got the party hopping with the newlyweds’ favorite tunes, and they danced the night away for the first time as man and wife. Enjoy the photos of this fun affair by Tampa wedding photographers K&K Photography and our interview with Jessica Meiczinger of Simply Divine Events!
Give us an overview of the event.
Their wedding had a “Upstate New York” meets “Tampa” theme. The ceremony was held at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church and was a beautiful ceremony. Jody chose a color palate of ivory, orange and green for the wedding! Something that you don’t see too often. Alexis with 2 Birds designed centerpieces to compliment the surroundings of the Tampa garden club and gave the event a “Southern” feel. Instead of your ordinary place cards, Jody wrote the guests names on little leaves and we pinned those to cuties. Another great addition to their reception, was the beer that was served to the guests. Craft Beer plays a big part in their lives, with Thomas being the Brand Ambassador for The Florida Beer Company, he hand-picked the brews for the Reception. The couple actually crafted their own beer in honor of their beloved 4-legged friend Grover!
Were there any unique details included throughout the day?
The transportation. The bridal party hopped on the Brew Bus, which is a luxury shuttle bus equipped with it’s own craft brew!
They guys all wore goofy socks, which made for a great photo-op.
The bride’s shoes were TOMS:)
Tell us about the food.
Passed apps: Cuban Cigar spring roll with roasted pork, pickle and ham bites with mayo-mustard dip, Bacon-Wrapped Potato Tot with sour cream and chive, Chicken and Waffles hot applewood smoked bacon waffles smothered in chipotle butter topped with and Caprese Skewers marinated fresh mozzarella skewered with grape tomatoes, fresh basil, and balsamic drizzle
- Churrascaria Station – Red wine braided short ribs, applewood bacon-wrapped chicken breast, and lechon asado (dry-rubbed garlic pork loin), marinated, skewered, grilled, and served with mojo dipping sauce accompanied by Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Shrimp & Grits Station marscarpone-infused grits topped with seared-to-order Cajun shrimp, Louisiana Red hot caviar and fresh cilantro in red eye gravy.
- “Soup & Sandwich” Station: assortment of grilled paninis on focaccia presented with a soup shooter: Smoked Chicken – caramelized onions, fresh rosemary and jack cheese, vidalia onion bisque | American Classic – applewood smoked bacon, sharp cheddar, and tomatoes, tomato basil soup | Bianco – mozzarella, sweet onion, fresh tomatoes, arugula, Gorgonzola, and e.v.o.o., tomato basil
Tell us about the desserts.
The 4-tier square wedding cake with buttercream icing was provided by Puff n Stuff Catering:
- Bottom tier: Key Lime Cake with Key Lime ButtercreamFilling
- 3rd tier: Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream filling
- 2nd tier: Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Top tier, to-be-saved: Key Lime with Strawberry Filling
Any takeaways from the event?
Jody and Tom’s wedding was a true reflection of them. They had a lot of personal touches that really made their wedding special. Also, I loved the menu they chose and how they incorporated the hand selected beers into their bar.