by Victoria L. Brown, Certified Event and Wedding Consult and owner of Victoria Belle Events Facility
Planning an Atlanta wedding takes many skilled professionals to pull off an affair with expertise. Traditionally, the bride’s family pays the majority of the wedding expenses. However, a new trend has emerged recently where it is quite acceptable for the groom’s parents to take part in sharing the expenses. The Bride’s parents should never approach the groom’s family, however if the groom’s family has a more active role in the wedding planning, they may offer financial support. The budget should be discussed between the fiancé and future in-law’s so everyone is on the same page.
When planning your wedding budget, major factors should always be discussed with everyone who is funding the wedding & reception. Carefully contemplate your wedding budget – it should be completely understood with the amount determined before planning the wedding. Set your wedding priorities and be realistic with the money you have allotted. Again, discuss the budget with all parties involved to help achieve your goal.
Here are some tips that will assist you in discussing your budget:
- Be firm with your budget.
- Have a good estimation regarding the number of invited guests.
- Many brides and grooms are more interested in quality than quantity. Narrowing down your guest list can be a difficult task. Think about this question, would you invite this person to your home for dinner? If the answer is yes, then that is someone you would also invite to your wedding.
- Determine the type of wedding you both want – Contemporary, traditional, formal, etc.
- Know what the priorities are for each of you.
- Decide up front how the budget will be divided between families.
Most couples are not aware of the expenses involved. Weddings are very detailed and it may be difficult to pin down every dollar spent. My tip is to book a wedding & reception site that offers a wedding planner on staff. You will not only benefit from her knowledge and save tons of money, but reduce a great deal of the stress factor associated with planning a “once in a lifetime” experience.
To find quality professionals for your upcoming event, use our Comprehensive Atlanta Wedding and Event Vendor Homepage Search.